New legislation is changing the off-road scene in Arizona

Share or Bookmark:
| More
August 29th, 2008

New regulations affecting off-highway vehicle use will go into effect Jan. 1, 2009, thanks to a joint effort between Arizona sportsmen and off-highway vehicle (OHV) user groups. OHVs are defined as those machines primarily designed by the manufacturer for off-highway use and weighing 1,800 pounds or less. New requirements include:

  • Purchase of an annual sticker through the Arizona Department of Transportation Motor Vehicle Division (MVD) validating use of the OHV in Arizona. This will be a flat fee that is yet to be determined, but it is anticipated to be lower than the value license tax currently being charged for registration. This includes all-terrain vehicles, side-by-sides (utility vehicles), dirt bikes, and sand rails. Trucks, sport utility vehicles (SUVs), cars, and other recreational vehicles (motor homes) will not be affected.
  • OHV operators and riders under the age of 18 will be required to wear a Department of Transportation (DOT) approved helmet designed for motorized vehicle use.
  • Sound restrictions for OHVs generating sound greater than 96 decibels.

The goal of the new regulations is to provide better OHV management and protection of natural resources while maintaining access. Funds generated from this program will be used to help ensure sustainable opportunities by bolstering grant programs that pay for maintenance, signage, mitigation, education, and enforcement. Remember to leave no trace and that Nature Rules! Stay on Roads and Trails.

For further information and updates on the new regulations, visit:

By Jim Harken, public information officer, AGFD

5 Responses to “New legislation is changing the off-road scene in Arizona”

  1. Will I need a sticker if my off road vehicle is also street licenced?

  2. What was the reply to the question? Will we still need a sticker if the off road vehicle is licenced for street use?


  3. Yes, you will still need to purchase the OHV Decal if your vehicle is licensed for street legal use. Unfortunately we don’t yet know the cost of the Decal, The Motor Vehicle Department is determining what that cost should be.

    Once you’ve purchased the OHV Decal, the next time your registration comes up for renewal, you’ll receive free registration and pay only 3 dollars in vehicle license tax or VLT. So you’re over all bill will be the cost of the OHV Decal and 3 dollars in VLT, which should be less than your current registration that is based on the blue book value of your vehicle.

    You will need to purchase the Decal beginning January 1, 2009. Then you’ll pay the $3 VLT when your registration comes up for renewal.

    For more information go online to or call Jim Harken at 602-942-3000.

  4. What about out of state ohv’s?

  5. Quote: Keith Aikens on December 5th, 2008 at 4:40 am
    What about out of state ohv’s?

    Arizona is not conserned with what you do when you are out of state.

Leave a Reply