Be aware that new OHV laws will take effect Jan. 1

Share or Bookmark:
| More
November 24th, 2008

OHV enthusiasts are reminded to stay on roads and trails.Off-highway vehicle (OHV) enthusiasts should be aware that new laws affecting OHV use will go into effect on Jan. 1, 2009.

A link to information on the new laws, including answers to some “Frequently Asked Questions,” can be found on the Arizona Game and Fish Department’s Web site at

Here are some important facts you’ll need to know:

  • Effective Jan. 1, 2009, you must annually purchase an off-highway vehicle decal (“OHV Decal”) for any off-highway vehicle you have that is designed by the manufacturer primarily for off-highway use AND weighs 1,800 pounds or less, in order to operate it in Arizona. This includes most all-terrain vehicles (ATVs), side-by-sides (utility vehicles), dirt bikes and some sand rails. The OHV Decal must be affixed to your OHV’s license plate.
  • All OHVs must have an Arizona Certificate of Title and license plate. If the vehicle is not titled, or if you have an out-of-state title, you will need to visit an MVD office or authorized third-party provider to obtain an Arizona Certificate of Title. For more information, see the titling information in the Frequently Asked Questions at

  • The OHV Decal can be purchased after Jan. 1, 2009 at or by visiting Arizona Department of Transportation Motor Vehicle Division (MVD) offices or authorized third-party providers during normal business hours. The cost of the OHV Decal is still being determined and is expected to be announced soon. Once the cost is announced, we will post it at

  • The OHV Decal is an annual user fee that will provide funds for better OHV management and protection of natural resources while helping maintain access. It is not the same as “registration.” Registration refers to the process that is required if you want to legally ride your off-highway vehicle on improved and maintained roads and streets. For more information, see the registration information in the Frequently Asked Questions at

  • Travel is limited to roads, trails and areas open by the land management agency for motorized vehicle use. Travel that causes damage to cultural or natural resources, or property or improvements, is prohibited.

  • OHVs must have a muffler or noise dissipative device to limit sound to less than 96 decibels.

  • Anyone under the age of 18 will be required to wear a properly fitted and fastened U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) approved helmet when riding any OHV.

The goal of the new regulations is to provide better OHV management and protection of natural resources while maintaining access.

For more information, go to

One Response to “Be aware that new OHV laws will take effect Jan. 1”

  1. So where do I find the Third Party Provder list?? Are there any Providers around Quartzsite?

Leave a Reply